Throughout each year, the State Legislature and the United States Congress propose and enact legislation, some of which affects local municipal government. The League of California Cities and a contracted government relations firm keep the City of Encinitas informed on proposed legislation from these bodies. At times, it is in the interests of the City to take a position on proposed legislation. This program follows Council Administrative Policy C024 for process and the legislative priorities listed herein.
Priorities and Process
The Legislative Program provides guidelines for the City of Encinitas legislative advocacy. The primary priority areas include:
- Protect funding for vital community services
- Protect local control of land-use decision-making
- Support environmentally sustainable cities
- Expand infrastructure investment
- Public Safety / Public Health
- Coastal protection and enhancement
For proposed legislation, either consistent with the City’s legislative priorities or consistent with legislative positions the City has taken in the past, staff is authorized to prepare position letters for the Mayor’s signature and place the letters on Council’s consent agenda for potential comment prior to being sent. If the Mayor is unavailable, the Deputy Mayor is authorized to sign position letters. All members of City Council receive electronic copies of sent position letters. The City’s government relations firm may also be authorized to express the City’s position in person to legislative representatives.
For Council positions on legislation not addressed in the City’s legislative priorities, a proponent may follow City Administrative Policy C003 to place an item on Council’s agenda for consideration. Council’s legislative priorities only address issues directly relevant to or impacting the provision of municipal services. Generally, the City will not address matters that are not pertinent to the City’s local government services such as partisan, socially divisive or international issues.
PROTECT FUNDING FOR VITAL COMMUNITY SERVICES
- Support full reimbursement to cities for all State and federal mandates.
- Protect or enhance local government revenue resources.
- Oppose State budget cuts targeting critical local programs and services.
- Enhance Community Development Block Grant and other federal funding.
- Pursue a range of diverse housing opportunities balanced throughout the community.
PROTECT LOCAL CONTROL OF LAND-USE DECISION-MAKING
- Protect local control of land use decision-making and oppose legislation that would hinder or threaten local control.
- Seek opportunities to regain local control over state-imposed density bonus law.
- Seek legislative relief in applying building construction codes to unpermitted units.
SUPPORT ENVIRONMENTALLY SUSTAINABLE CITIES
- Support legislation protecting existing water supply, and facilitating development of future water sources in Southern California.
- Support legislation providing funding for the acquisition and restoration of wildlife habitat.
- Support legislation that expands, promotes and/or incentivizes water conservation practices and programs.
- Support legislation that facilitates and/or promotes the expanded use of local water resources including recycled water, gray water and rain water harvesting.
- Support legislation that promotes the development of potable water reuse.
- Support incentives for utilizing renewable energy resources.
- Support state-wide plastic bag ban legislation.
- Support state-wide expanded polystyrene foam (EPS) ban.
EXPAND INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT
- Support equitable long-range, statewide infrastructure investment.
- Support State/federal facilitation of timely construction of local transportation projects.
- Oppose the use of gasoline sales tax revenues for other than state and local transportation purposes.
- Support local rail infrastructure investment.
- Seek state funding/cost sharing opportunities for state beaches in Encinitas, including Beacon's Beach.
PUBLIC SAFETY / PUBLIC HEALTH
- Support funding bills for local law enforcement equipment, services, or personnel.
- Ensure local discretion in the adoption and implementation of health and safety standards contained in the building and fire codes.
- Support funding bills for local emergency operations including equipment, services, and personnel.
- Support legislation protecting public health.
COASTAL PROTECTION AND ENHANCEMENT
- Support legislation providing funding and other means for beach replenishment.
- Additional mandated storm water pollution prevention measures must be accompanied by funding or a mechanism to provide for funding.
- Support ecosystem enhancing legislation.
- Support regional and state-wide sea level rise initiatives.
- Apart from the above listed specific interests, City Council shall be apprised of legislative actions of the County of San Diego.
- Support legislation introduced by local legislators unless contrary to City priorities.
CURRENT COUNCIL LEGISLATIVE POSITIONS 2017
Watch List of Other Bills
2015 Legislative Positions
2016 Legislative Positions