The Housing Plan Update 2018 is being submitted to the voters to choose whether to adopt it as the revised 2013-2021 Housing Element Update. According to the proposed Housing Element draft, "The Housing Element Update provides the City with a coordinated and comprehensive strategy for promoting the production of safe, decent, and affordable housing for all within the Encinitas community."
On August 8, 2018 the City Council authorized the placement of the Housing Plan Update 2018 on the November 6, 2018 General Election ballot. The ballot measure has been identified by the Registrar of Voters as Measure U, which reads as follows:
The full text of Measure U is composed of the following:
- Ballot Measure Overview, including maps of the geographic area affected
- Resolution 2018-61 (approving the 2013-2021 Housing Element including Appendices A, B and C) and
- Ordinance 2018-07 (approving associated Use and Development Standards)
City staff has received a number of inquiries regarding Measure U from members of the public. Staff has prepared these FAQs in response and for informational purposes. These FAQs are not intended to advocate for or against Measure U.
City Council approved the Housing Element Update on June 20, 2018, based on the removal of four sites (Garden View Court, Dewitt Property, El Camino Real South and Rancho Santa Fe East Site).
Revised Site Map Revised Site Table
The 2013-2021 Housing Element approved by the City Council at their June 20, 2018 meeting, has been updated to reflect their action and includes the following:
View Draft Housing Element Update submittals to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD).
View Public Comments submitted to HCD and City of Encinitas Responses.
Visit the Timeline webpage to view a historical timeline of past meetings with links to supporting documentation.
The Housing Element Update identifies:
- Policies for new housing construction, rehabilitation and conservation of the existing affordable housing stock
- Strategies and programs focusing on: housing affordability, substandard housing rehabilitation, existing demand for new housing, eliminating housing development constraints, and maintaining an adequate supply of rental housing.
A goal of the Housing Plan Update 2018 is to ensure that the City embraces the distinct identity and character of its five communities and becomes a place where one can live their entire life with housing for all ages, incomes and abilities. The Draft Housing Element Update provides policies and programs to address these issues. The City of Encinitas envisions itself as a sustainable community that embraces its quality of life through environment, fiscal health, community health and equity.
Visit the Housing Plan Update website for a summary of past efforts related to the Housing Element.