Who do I call to get sandbags?

The City of Encinitas’ Public Works Department will host two Sandbag give-a-way events on Saturday, November 4, 2017 and Saturday, February 3, 2018, from 8:30am-2:00pm at the Public Works facility at 160 Calle Magdalena, Encinitas, CA. 92024. Sandbags will be available per event to Encinitas residents (no contractors) on a first come, first serve basis.

Residents must provide photo identification and show proof of residency. A water bill or electric bill is acceptable, which shows the customers address. Please check-in at the front counter. 10 sandbags will be given for each address/property (while supply lasts). Residents must self-load and transport the sandbags. The City does not provide this service.

Sandbags will no longer be offered daily at the Public Works facility.

Sandbags may be purchased at local vendors. Please call vendors directly for the latest information on availability and pricing. The following is an example of some vendors who may offer sandbags for purchase:

  • Crown Ace Hardware, 745 S. Coast Hwy, Encinitas 92024
     (760) 334-0300
  • Home Depot, 1001 N. El Camino Real, Encinitas 92024
     (760) 943-9600
  • RCP Block & Brick, 577 N. Vulcan Ave., Encinitas 92024
     (760) 753-1164

What do I do if there is an earthquake?

Check your home for gas or water leaks and shut off the utilities, if necessary. For earthquake preparedness information, click here or call our Public Education Line at 633-2815.

How do I get a copy of a fire investigation report?

Complete a Public Records request by calling the City Clerk at 633-2601.

Is there a charge for paramedic service for Encinitas residents?

Yes. The City of Encinitas does charge a minimal fee of $400.00 for transportation in an ambulance. Each property owner in Encinitas pays an annual subscription fee of $26.13 to cover the cost of providing emergency medical services to residents.

Where can I dispose of used motor oil, household cleaners, paint, etc.?

For information on where you can dispose of your household hazardous waste materials please contact the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 800-714-1195 or www.edcodisposal.com

How can I become a firefighter?

The Encinitas Fire Department currently recruits candidates for the position of firefighter/paramedic from an eligibility list established by Palomar College. If you are interested in becoming a firefighter/paramedic with the Encinitas Fire Department and have received all your required certifications, please contact Palomar College at (760) 744-1150, extension 2760, so that your name may be placed on an eligibility list. For a list of job openings with the Encinitas Fire Department please click here or call the City’s Job Line at 633-2726.

Who do I call if I have problems with bees?

The Encinitas Fire Department does not remove bees unless there is an imminent danger to an individual. To have bees removed, consult your Yellow Pages under "Beekeepers" and contact a licensed beekeeper that will safely remove the bees.

How can I schedule a fire truck or firefighter for a special event or function?

Our staff frequently visits pre-schools, elementary schools, and non-profit events. To request a safety presentation or equipment "show and tell", please call the Public Education Line at 633-2815.

How do I get a fire permit?

Contact Fire Prevention Bureau click here or call 633-2820.

How do I schedule a fire inspection?

To schedule an inspection please contact Fire Prevention Bureau click here or call 633-2820.

What number do I call for information on CPR classes?

Call the Department’s Public Education Line at 633-2815.

How can I safeguard my home against fires?

The best prevention is installing smoke detectors throughout your home. Also check your home for overloaded electrical circuits, damaged electrical cords, and other obvious fire hazards. For a free home safety inspection, please call the Encinitas Fire Department at 633-2800.

Who do I call if I find a pet stuck in a tree or on a telephone pole?

Contact County Animal Control at 438-2312 or Emergency Animal Rescue 594-0751 in the San Diego County area.

How do I have the gas turned off or on in my home?

In an emergency, dial 911. For non-emergencies, call San Diego Gas and Electric at 1-800-411-SDGE (7343).

Are fireworks permitted in Encinitas?

All fireworks are prohibited in the City of Encinitas.

I sometimes see a fire truck parked near businesses, but there are no signs of a fire. What are they doing?

Engine companies conduct a comprehensive fire inspection of all businesses on a regular basis.

What other services does the Fire Department offer?

The Encinitas Fire Department offers a wide array of public safety education and prevention programs, such as classroom fire safety presentations and demonstrations, low-cost CPR classes, disaster preparedness training and home fire safety inspections. To participate in these programs please call our Public Education Line at 633-2815.

Why do fire trucks respond with or in place of ambulances?

In most cases, an engine company is dispatched in addition to the paramedic unit. The engine company’s crew is able to provide lifesaving treatment if they arrive first.

What do I do if there is a fire in my home?

Make sure everyone is out of the home and dial 911. Never re-enter the home to rescue property or pets.

How do I contact the Fire Department for a fire or medical emergency?

Dial 911. This is a free call on all cellular and coin operated phones. The dispatcher will automatically know the address and phone number from which you are calling (except cellular calls). However, they may ask for additional clarification from you concerning the emergency. It is important to remember to remain calm when speaking to the dispatcher.