Encinitas Lifeguard Salary Ranges
Lifeguard I: $18.32 - $23.39
Lifeguard II: $20.66 - $26.37
Senior Lifeguard: $23.65 - $31.30
Want to become an Encinitas Lifeguard? There are currently two paths to employment.
1) Lifeguard Trainee – In-House Academy: Includes Ocean Lifeguard Academy and American Red Cross Emergency Red Cross. The trainee is an unpaid volunteer position, and candidates will be promoted to a paid Lifeguard I upon successfully completing the academy. Costs covered by the city.
To attend our Encinitas Open Water Lifeguard Academy, you must complete the application and selection process.
Applications must be submitted online, along with copies of all certifications at the City of Encinitas Employment Opportunities.
An applicant that applies for the Lifeguard Trainee position must pass a 550-yard ocean swim in under 10 minutes and a run, swim, run that consist of a 250-yard run, 250-yard swim, and 250-yard run in under 8 minutes. Applicants will be given an interview time slot after completing the skills portion of the tryout.
Tryout Date: Saturday, January 21st, or February 11th, 2023
Time: 0900 AM
Job Announcement: Lifeguard Trainee Volunteer
2) Lifeguard I/II - Possession of the following certificates will be required at the time of application and submitted with the employment application:
- San Diego Regional Lifeguard Academy’s Introduction to Open Water Lifeguarding certificate in the last 24 months; or the previous 24 months has worked for a Southern California agency certified with the USLA as Advanced Open Water.
- A valid Class “C” California Driver’s License
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (C.P.R.) American Red Cross for the Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, or American Heart Association B.L.S. for Healthcare Providers
- American Red Cross Emergency Medical Response, or a valid San Diego County Emergency Medical Technician
- Have obtained a COVID-19 vaccine with booster
Education & Experience:
High school graduation, State of California accredited equivalency or G.E.D. Any combination of training and experience could likely provide the desired knowledge and abilities.
Application & Selection Procedure:
Applications must be submitted online, along with copies of all certifications at the City of Encinitas Employment Opportunities. Applicants must fill out the application entirely and submit qualification documents to move on to the tryout and interview.
Tryout & Interview:
All candidates must complete an online city application before the tryout date. No walkups will be considered. Job application will be open until May 9th, 2023, at 2:00PM.
Job Announcement: Seasonal Ocean Lifeguard
Wednesday May 10th, 2023, at 0900 AM
The physical abilities tryout and interview will be at the Encinitas Lifeguard Station, 400 West C Street, Encinitas, CA 92024.
Before the interview, all candidates must pass the physical abilities test, consisting of a 550-yard ocean swim under 10 minutes, a run, swim, run that consist of a 250-yard run, 250-yard swim, and 250-yard run in under 8 minutes, C.P.R. skills test, and a dummy drag of 50 feet in 30 seconds (150 lbs.). Applicants will be given an interview time slot after completing the skills portion of the tryout.
Other opportunities are to enroll in the following Miramar College courses:
1) FIPT 160 Intro to Open Water Lifeguarding (Lifeguard Academy) (or come from an approved USLA agency).
2) FIPT 309B Emergency Medical Care of the Sick and Injured. (Red Cross E.M.R. includes BLS CPR). NOTE: If an applicant is already an E.M.T. (possess a San Diego County Card) and C.P.R. for a Professional Rescuer/Healthcare Provider, you do not need this course.
Lifeguards | San Diego Miramar College (sdmiramar.edu)
SDCCD Online Class Search