- Required for Title 24 Accessibility (State regulations designed to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and State statutes). Commercial & Mixed Use Only.
- Required for construction of attached or detached residential dwelling units, which are secondary to a primary single-family dwelling.
- Required for the extension or increase of floor area or height of a building or structure.
- Required for any construction, renovation or repair of an existing structure, other than an addition.
- Required for removal of a structure or portion of a structure.
- Required when applying Ground Mounted, Roof Mounted, EV Charger, Solar Battery, and Solar Roof permits
- A mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing permit is required when installing, altering or completing a change in a residential or non-residential structure. These are simple, stand-alone permits not attached to a larger building project.
- Required for construction of new dwelling units (i.e., Single Family Residence, Duplex, Condominium, Apartment, Commercial or Mixed Used Structure).
- Required for construction of a pool, in-ground spa, or pond, greater than 18 inches in depth.
- Required to replace roofing material on an existing structure.
- Required to construct a wall over four feet in height from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, or if holding surcharge.
- Required for any permanent sign - wall, freestanding, blade, monument, directional or site.
- Required for construction of a temporary or accessory building or structure.
- Required for any construction or renovation of an existing structure, other than repair or addition. Commercial & Mixed Use only.
- Required when installing a water heater in a residential or non-residential structure.
- Required for any person or entity which conducts business within the City of Encinitas.
Home Occupation Regulations
- Regulations for conducting a business at a residence.
- The City of Encinitas has taken steps to assist local houses of worship and fitness-oriented businesses in dealing with COVID-19.
- The City of Encinitas has taken steps to assist local businesses in dealing with COVID-19.
Electric Vehicle Charging FAQ
- Overview of electric vehicle charging regulations.
- Information and regulations regarding gray water systems.
- Information and registration for the City’s green building program.
- Required for rooftop solar domestic water heating project 30 kWth or less
- Required for Solar Photovoltaic Rooftop Installation.
- Required for rooftop solar pool heating project 30 kWth or less.
- Required for the removal, trimming, or any other modification of a City Tree.
- Required for the installation, repair, and/or replacement of standard works in the public right-of-way or a public easement.
Encinitas Survey Control Network Datasheets
- Survey Control Network - drawings, descriptions & photos.
Encinitas Survey Control Network Maps
- Maps of Survey Control Network.
- Required for work requiring beach access and/or temporary beach encroachment, which may include work such as the construction of seawalls, tree trimming, bluff maintenance, or bluff stabilization.
- Required to allow the encroachment of non-standard works into the public right-of-way or a public easement. For CONSTRUCTION in the right-of-way see “Construction PROW Permit" above.
- Required for any object proposed to be placed within a public right-of-way or easement on a temporary basis. For CONSTRUCTION in the right-of-way see “Construction PROW Permit" above.
Engineering Design Manual
- Guide to the public and professionals in the submittal of required material to the Development Services Department for the processing of Engineering permits, grading plans, subdivision maps and parcel maps, drainage designs, sewer designs and water designs.
- Fees associated with Engineering permit applications and processes.
Engineering Plan Index Viewer
- This interactive map app will allow you to identify, view, and print plans and drawings associated with a particular location.
- Required to process a Final Subdivision Map or Parcel Map.
General Financial Information
- Acceptable forms of posted surety, security obligation agreements & terms of release.
- A Grading permit is required for any earth movement, clearing and grubbing, remedial earthwork, drainage modification, and for the creation of new impervious surface areas, unless the work is exempt as per Municipal Code Section 23.24.
Grading Plan Title Sheet (DWG)
- City standard grading plan title sheet and notes for private development projects
- Required for hauling dirt, debris or materials within the City of Encinitas and out of the City of Encinitas.
- Required when placing a newsrack within the public right-of-way.
- A Public Improvement permit is required for any improvements within the existing or proposed public right-of-way, such as street or sewer improvements.
Public Improvement Plan Title Sheet (DWG)
- City standard public improvement plan title sheet and notes for private development projects
- Required when adding, replacing, or modifying a sewer connection to an existing main.
- Required when any sidewalk or outdoor dining will occur within the public right-of-way.
- Required when food or merchandise is proposed for sale from a vending receptacle (such as pushcart or stand) or from one’s person, upon a public sidewalk or other pedestrian path.
Survey Monument Viewer
- Web application to locate survey monuments and benchmarks.
- Required for any work within a City street that may impact or in any way alter the flow of vehicular, bicycle, or pedestrian traffic.
- Required to apply for a Truck Permit.
- Required to request a moratorium waiver in accordance with the City of Encinitas Resolution 2019-95.
- Required when public right-of-way work will occur on existing or proposed utilities.
- Application for the vacation of any dedicated city street, right-of-way, or easement.
Fire Prevention - Public Safety
- A Fire Construction permit is required for installation or modification to any equipment specified under California Fire Code Section 105.7, including, but not limited to, battery systems, compressed gas systems, and equipment used to store, dispense, or transport flammable and combustible liquids.
- A permit is required per CFC Section 105 for the installation of or modification to any fire protection system.
- Required for Tents or Canopies that exceed 400 square feet.
- Program to assist low income households with home repairs.
- To be placed on the waitlist for Section 8 rental assistance.
- Required for parking any trailer, camper trailer, boat and trailer, cab-over camper/truck camper, motor home, or similar vehicle on a public street.
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Arts
- Field use permits are required for use of City athletic fields.
- Annual permits are required for commercial use of public recreational property.
- Required to reserve a room at the Community/Senior Center and Library.
Naming of City Land Facilities & Amenities Form
- Request to name or change name of City land, facilities and amenities.
- Required for groups of 25 or more.
- Required for groups of 25 or more.
Accessory Dwelling Unit FAQ
- Regulations for accessory units (aka second units or “granny flats”)
Affordable Unit Policy Application
- To apply for the Affordable Dwelling Unit Policy, a City Council Policy for legalizing certain unpermitted dwelling units
Affordable Unit Policy FAQ
- Frequently asked questions regarding the Affordable Unit Interim Policy
Agricultural Permit Application
- For staff-level application reviews (appointment required)
Alcohol Service Establishment - Existing Application Supplement
- Required for all applications for modification of existing alcohol service establishments
Alcohol Service Establishment - New Application Supplement
- Required for all applications for new alcohol service establishments
Applicant’s Guide to Setbacks
- Information and examples for application of setback requirements
Application for Environmental Initial Study (AEIS)
- For projects that require environmental review
CDP Requirements for Residential Remodels
- Information on CDP requirements for residential remodels and additions
Certificate of Compliance
- Information on the Certificate of Compliance process
Citizen’s Participation Plan Handout
- Detailed instructions for preparing a Citizen’s Participation Plan
- Information on converting existing residential units to condominiums
Density Bonus FAQ
- Information regarding density bonus
Determination of Legal Parcel
- Guidelines used for determining if a parcel of land is legal
Encinitas Register of Historic Places Application
- To request property be placed on local register
Facility Availability Form: Fire
- For subdivisions, submit to Fire Department, then with map application
Facility Availability Form: School
- For subdivisions, submit to School District(s), then with map application
Facility Availability Form: Sewer
- For subdivisions, submit to Sewer District, then with map application
Facility Availability Form: Water
- For subdivisions, submit to Water District, then with map application
Final/Parcel Map Fee Form
- Submit with fee to Planning Department prior to filing final/parcel map
Height Certification Form
- Licensed Land Surveyor to complete to verify building height
Heritage Tree Nomination Form
- Complete and submit to nominate a tree for Heritage Tree status
- Submit prior to building permit issuance
Invasive Plant Policy
- Information on the City's invasive plant policy
Landscape Documentation Package Checklist
- Submit as required prior to construction permit issuance
Lot Line Adjustment
- Information on the lot line (boundary) adjustment process
Mills Act Handout
- Information on the City’s Mills Act Program for historical structures
Parkland Acquisition and Improvements Fees
- Parks and Recreation development impact fees (administered by the Planning Division)
Permanent Sign Application
- Submit for monument signs and sign programs (appointment required)
- For staff-level and Planning Commission application reviews (appointment required)
Planning Application Processing Fees
- Administrative, discretionary and building plan check application fees
Planning Application, Preliminary (SB330)
Residential Height Regulations
- The City's height regulations and how to apply them
Revisions and Deferred Submittals to Plans
- Submit when making revisions to existing project
- Information on sign allowances, requirements and regulations
Staff Advisory Committee
- Information on the City’s Staff Advisory Committee
Temporary Parking Lot Tent Regulations
- Zoning requirements for temporary tents and canopies
- Submit for temporary sign and banner permits
Tentative Map Application Supplement
- Requirements for tentative map applications
Urban Agriculture FAQ
- Information on urban agriculture regulations
Use Permit Application Supplement
- Instructions for preparing a use permit statement of justification
USPS Quick Reference Postal Requirements
- Requirements for providing access to USPS personnel (provided by USPS)
Variance Application Supplement
- Instructions for preparing a variance statement of justification
Water Efficient Landscape Worksheet
- Submit as required with Landscape Documentation Package
Wireless Facilities Group Pre-Application
- For proposed wireless facilities on City property
- Descriptions of zoning designations in the City
Zoning Summary - Commercial
- Table of commercial zones and development standards (setbacks, etc.)
Zoning Summary - Residential
- Table of residential zones and development standards (setbacks, etc.)
- Required for any business or residence which utilizes an alarm system
- Required for any establishment which has five or more amusement devices such as pinball machines and arcade games
- Required for any establishment which conducts performances such as any act, play, review, song, show, concert or exhibition
- Required for any person or entity which facilitates the sale, lease, or transfer of firearms
- Required for any entity which operates a junk yard, auto wrecking or storage yard
- Required for any entity which conducts public bingo games
- Required for any entity which conducts public dances; additional permits may be required
- Required for any establishment which conducts business as a pawnbroker or secondhand dealer
- Required for any entity which rents a single-family home or duplex for 30 consecutive days or less
- Required for any entity which requests contributions or sells services or goods for a charitable purpose
- Required for any entity which offers services or goods for sale door-to-door or in a public place
- Required for any entity which offers services or goods on a seasonal basis
- Required for any taxi company which operates within the City of Encinitas
- To request an address for a property be assigned or changed.
Appeal Request Form
- To appeal a final determination by a board, committee, commission, or department, subordinate to the City Council.
- Laws, process and forms for obtaining copies of building plans and related documents.
Public Records Request
- To request a City public record.
Service Request Application
- Submit for minor research and service requests (zoning letters, etc.).
San Dieguito Water District
SDWD Schedule of Fees
- List of fees associated with the San Dieguito Water District
- Required when the registered owner of a property desires a smaller meter installed at the same location in exchange for a larger one (downsize a water meter).
- Required when the registered owner of a property desires the removal of an existing water meter serving a parcel.