San Diego County Rental & Utility Assistance Program
San Diego County residents financially impacted by COVID-19 who need help paying their rent and utilities may qualify for assistance. Applications for the County of San Diego’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) 2021 can be submitted starting March 2, 2021. Applications will be accepted until funding is no longer available.
For more information on the County’s program, please visit www.sdhcd.org or call (858) 694-4801 to speak to a housing representative.
**** UPDATE ****
Thank you for your interest in the City of Encinitas COVID-19 Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program. The application period is now closed. If you submitted an application and have questions please contact (760) 456-7757 or [email protected]. Para asistencia en español, por favor llame al (760) 943-2150.
The City of Encinitas COVID-19 Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program provides financial assistance to eligible Encinitas households facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible and complete applications will be processed based upon demonstrated financial need and availability of program funds.
Who Can Receive Assistance?
At a minimum, qualified applicants must meet the following:
- Renting a home in Encinitas and have written lease agreement.
- Eligible immigration status (U.S. citizen/U.S. National, lawful permanent resident/conditional permanent resident, a refugee/person seeking asylum or granted asylum).
- Financial hardship directly related to COVID-19.
- Not currently receiving any rental subsidies.
- Savings do not meet financial needs.
- Current household income is at or below 80% of the Regional Median Income based upon household size as shown in the table below.
How to Apply
- Applications are available online only. Apply Online Here.
- If you do have internet access or need special assistance with completing the application, please contact (760) 456-7757 or [email protected].
- Applications are available from now - midnight September 7, 2020.
- Documentation is required to confirm eligibility. This checklist may help prepare all necessary documents/information to fill out the application.
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their application was submitted. If you have submitted an application online and not received a confirmation, please first check your email Junk or Spam folder. If you have questions about the program or your application status, please contact (760) 456-7757 or [email protected] and you will receive a response as soon as possible during City business hours.
- The City will not maintain a waiting list for this program.
Payment Assistance Information
- One-time payment of up to $4,500 to assist with past-due or upcoming rent and utilities. Payment amount will be based upon demonstrated financial need.
- Payments are made directly to the landlord and utility providers.
- Utilities include trash (EDCO) and water (SDWD, OMWD).
- For SDGE payment assistance, please visit 2-1-1.
- Additionally, 2-1-1 San Diego provides a directory of numerous services and resources, especially related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provide information from the IRS Form W9 to verify ownership of rental property. This is provided by the owner to City after applicant is approved.
- Authorize the City of Encinitas to make payment.
- Please note that landlord participation is voluntary. If a landlord does not wish to participate and/or complete the required forms, no payments will be made.
Questions? Please Contact (760) 456-7757 or
Para asistencia en español, por favor llame al (760) 943-2150.
Application Checklist (English)
Application Checklist (Spanish)
Funding is provided through the City’s Community Development Block Grant Program and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.