HOMELESS ACTION PLAN - Adopted February 24, 2021
The Homeless Action Plan was adopted by City Council on February 24, 2021.
DRAFT HOMELESS ACTION PLAN PRESENTATION
On February 24, 2021 the City staff presented the draft Homeless Action Plan to City COuncil for their review and approval. At the meeting City Council adopted the plan and provided direction to staff on moving forward with implementation of the plan. For those unable to attend, you can watch the recording of the meeting and read the staff report here.
On August 17, 2020 at 6 pm the City of Encinitas held a a virtual public presentation to present the Draft Homeless Action Plan. For those unable to attend, you can watch by clicking on this link. Learn about the data collected to date, an overview of current programs and laws, and the proposed goals and actions. Presentation Questions and Responses
ENCINITAS HOMELESS ACTION PLAN DRAFT STRATEGIES
On June 24, 2020, LeSar Development Consultants presented to City Council at their regularly scheduled meeting at 6pm the background results and recommended strategies based on the information they have compiled since March. Staff and the consultant sought direction on the strategies to be further outlined in the Draft Homeless Action Plan. The City Council presentation and staff report is available online.
LeSar Memo to City Council LeSar Presentation (PDF) to Council
On October 23, 2019, City Council directed staff to develop the Request for Proposals (RFP) for development of a Homeless Action Plan. On December 18, 2019, City Council approved the contract with LeSar Development Consultants (LeSar) to complete the Homeless Action Plan.
The major components of the scope of work include:
- An analysis of homeless community in Encinitas which will include the demographics of the current homeless population and its needs;
- Identification and evaluation of current efforts and resources to address homelessness by the City and other non-profit organizations within the City and region;
- Review of best practices from the region and nationally;
- Community outreach component that will include three public forums and interviews/focus groups meetings with homeless services providers, city staff, city council, and individuals currently experiencing or have experienced homelessness; and
- Development of an Action Plan that will include goals, implementable strategies, measurable outcomes, identification of potential partners, and funding opportunities.
Why do we need a Homeless Action Plan?
- The City of Encinitas currently funds or participates in a variety of programs to assist individuals experiencing homelessness. The purpose of the City of Encinitas Homeless Action Plan is to:
- Understand current homeless population needs;
- Identify, develop and improve homeless services and partnerships;
- Assess the City’s current efforts to address homelessness and provide recommendations to ensure that the City is maximizing its resources and impact within the community; and
- Assist in setting goals and actions to ensure that the City of Encinitas continues to move toward its goal of reducing homelessness.
To comply with the order issued by the Governor and County Health and Human Services Agency to postpone gatherings of 250 people or more in response to the Coronavirus outbreak, the City of Encinitas' first public workshop for the Homeless Action Plan on Monday, March 16, 2020 was postponed however a Homeless Action Plan E-presentation was made available in March to continue progress on the Homeless Action Plan. The Presentation provides an overview of the data collected to date on the homeless population and current programs. A survey was also available through April to collect information. Presentation (March 20, 2020)