Art Night Encinitas
Enjoy an evening of visual art on Saturday, August 3, from 6:00-9:00 p.m., as Encinitas civic and local art galleries swing open their doors at Art Night Encinitas. The new event will celebrate the city’s diverse visual art scene at participating locations and is free to the public. Enjoy live music and refreshments at several locations.
“Art Night Encinitas was conceived by the Commission for the Arts in 2018 as a way to bring focus to our civic art galleries and thriving visual art scene,” said Commission for the Arts Chair Collette Stefanko. In 2019, 47 exhibits by local artists will be presented in the City's three civic art galleries along with a myriad of local artists who will exhibit their work at participating galleries.
The bi-monthly art open house benefits artists through the sale of their art and provides the public an opportunity to interact with artists and learn about the creative process.
Participating Art Galleries, Artists and Performers
- Encinitas Library: artists: Susan Brook, Susan Harris, William Leslie and Alessandra Colfi. Performers: Semisi & Fula Bula (6-7pm), Heather Nation (7-9pm). With a docent-led art tour. 540 Cornish Drive
- Civic Center Art Gallery at City Hall: artists Kerry Campbell and Deborrah Henry. Performers: Padre Wisdom (6-8pm), Mike Rudolph (8-9pm). 505 S. Vulcan Avenue
- First Street Gallery: artists: Jim Hornung and Robert Kennedy. 820 S. Coast Hwy 101
- Off Track Gallery: Artists: Cindy Alcoset, MiraCosta art students Jermaine Morales,
Andy Brandon Portillo, and Joshua San Nicolas, and San Dieguito Art Guild artists. 937 S. Coast Hwy. 101
- Art N Soul on the 101: artist: Kori Gabs. With live music. 633 S. Coast Hwy 101
- Bliss 101: artist: Patrick Sattley. Performer: Francis Blume. Featured charity: Pipeline to a Cure Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. 553 S. Coast Hwy 101
- Lux Art Institute: artist: Carolyn Case. Performer: DJ spinning tunes. 1550 S. El Camino Real
- Encinitas Community Center: artists: Bethany Kelley, Buzz Blodgett and Geeta Chinai. Performers: Devine Guitar School (6-7pm), The Elements (7-9pm). 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive
Catch a ride on one of the shuttle buses which will transport you to and from all locations. It's free! The public is encouraged to park at City Hall, the Encinitas Community Center and the Encinitas Library to easily access the shuttle.
Our thanks to Art Night Encinitas sponsors: Betty Scalice Foundation, NAPIZZA, Encinitas Friends of the Arts, and San Diego County Library. For sponsorship opportunities, contact Jim Gilliam here.
Check out Art Night Encinitas photos
Upcoming Art Nights will take place on Saturdays, 6-9pm on October 5 and November 23, 2019.
Civic Art Galleries and Exhibits
The City of Encinitas Visual Art Program consists of 47 art exhibitions annually by Encinitas and San Diego artists at three civic art galleries:
Civic Center Gallery at City Hall
505 S. Vulcan Avenue, Encinitas
Encinitas Library Gallery
540 Cornish Drive, Encinitas
Encinitas Community Center Gallery
1140 Oakcrest Park Drive, Encinitas
The exhibitions are a service to local artists, providing economic benefit from the sale of art and exposure to a wider audience while beautifying public buildings in Encinitas. The Civic Arts Program, established in 1998, serves artists, arts organizations, and the community, through programs in the visual and performing arts, and is overseen by the Cultural Arts Division and Commission for the Arts.
For more information on the visual art program, or to apply to mount an exhibition in 2019, please contact Arts Program Assistant Cheryl Ehlers at (760) 633-2748, or email.
Call for Artists
The City of Encinitas is seeking artists for individual and group exhibitions of two-dimensional (2-D) and three-dimensional (3-D) artwork. In 2020, the city will mount a total of 47 art exhibits. All exhibitions are for 2 months. Artists, both amateur and professional, are invited to submit an application for consideration.
Art Gallery Information Sheets
Click the links for exhibit information and photos of the galleries.
- Civic Center Gallery 2-D and 3-D
- Encinitas Library Gallery 2-D and 3-D
- Encinitas Community Center Gallery 2-D and 3-D
The exhibition program is open to artists who live in the city of Encinitas and San Diego county who are age 18 or older. Amateur and professional artists are encouraged to apply.
Applications to exhibit in 2020 are accepted from January 1, 2019 through September 30, 2019. A Visual Art Selection Committee, comprised of gallery directors, visual art instructors and professional artists, will jury the applications and determine the exhibit schedule for the following year. Artist notification begins in November.
Click here for the 2020 Application. The deadline to submit is September 30, 2019 at 12pm.
Artists, who are selected to exhibit, will be required to:
1) Complete a Waiver of Indemnity and Liability releasing the City of any liability from artwork damage, loss or theft.
2) Publicize and promote the exhibit and Opening Reception to their clients, contacts and the media.
3) Be responsible for installation and de-installation, with the assistance of Cultural Arts Division staff.
4) Provide wall signs for each artwork listing: title, media, year, artist name, price or NFS, phone number, email, and website. The sign is placed to the bottom right of each work.
5) Participate in Art Night Encinitas, the City’s new bi-monthly artist reception for all artists currently exhibiting in one of the civic art galleries. Art Night will take place on a Saturday from 6-9pm, on February 23, April 5, June 1, August 3, October 5 and November 23, 2019. Private artist receptions are no longer being hosted.
All income from the sale of art goes to the artist. There is no gallery commission. The exhibition program is a service to Encinitas artists and exists to promote the local artist community. As such, artists are encouraged to be flexible in their pricing. Art sales are by mutual agreement between the artist and purchaser. Please note: work that is sold must remain in the gallery for the duration of the exhibit.
The artist promotes the exhibit to their clients, friends and the media—a Media Contact List is available from the Cultural Arts Division. Exhibit information is included in the City’s weekly arts e-newsletter, sent to 22,000 subscribers in the community, the monthly Encinitas Arts & Events Calendar (online and in print), and on the City website.
"I was very fortunate to have artwork exhibited in a show with the City of Encinitas. My work was exhibited at the Encinitas Library for six weeks, in a fabulous large room with a wonderful view of the ocean. A reception was held on Sunday afternoon, September 15th. The success was due in large part to the recommendation to apply by fellow artist Kirsten Francis, and the efforts and advice of Jim Gilliam and Cheryl Ehlers. For me to have the chance to work with them in putting on this show was such a wonderful opportunity. I was so fortunate to sell nine paintings - far beyond expectations. The reception was terrific in such a great venue, with many friends and acquaintances and people from the community having a good time. I made numerous contacts with hopes of more sales and opportunities for the future. Thank you to all who came and made the exhibit a success. And thank you to the City of Encinitas Civic Arts Program for giving me the opportunity.” Neil Brooks